Surgical Scar Removal Treatments in Wisconsin
Transform Your Skin, Restore Your Confidence
Dr. Steffes at Dermatology & Cosmetic Physicians offers life-changing surgical scar removal treatments to help patients achieve smoother, more aesthetically pleasing skin. He understands the impact surgical scars can have on one's confidence and overall well-being. When you choose DCP, you’re choosing effective treatment options that come personalized to you and your goals. Request a consultation on surgical scar removal to get started.
What are Surgical Scars?
Surgical scars are a type of scar that forms due to a surgical procedure. Whenever an incision or cut is made into the skin, the body initiates a natural healing process to repair the wound. As part of this healing process, scar tissue forms to close the incision and restore the integrity of the skin. Some surgical scars may be small and barely noticeable, while others can be more prominent and visible.
Types of Surgical Scars
|Abdomen, limbs, back, face
|A straight, narrow scar resulting from a surgical incision.
|A horizontal scar resulting from a cesarean section surgery.
|Lower right abdomen
|A scar located in the lower right abdomen following an appendectomy.
|Laparoscopic Surgery Scar
|Abdomen (small incisions)
|Small scars resulting from minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery.
|Breast Surgery Scar
|Scars resulting from various breast surgeries or breast augmentation procedures.
|Chest wall, breast area
|A scar resulting from the surgical removal of one or both breasts.
|Tummy Tuck Scar
|A horizontal scar resulting from abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery.
|Open Heart Surgery Scar
|A long vertical scar along the chest from open heart surgery.
|Hip Replacement Scar
|A scar located near the hip joint following hip replacement surgery.
|Knee Replacement Scar
|A scar located around the knee joint resulting from knee replacement surgery.
|Spinal Surgery Scar
|A scar along the spine resulting from spinal surgery.
|Gallbladder Surgery Scar
|A scar located in the upper abdomen after gallbladder surgery.
|Neck, front of the neck
|A small, horizontal scar in the front of the neck after thyroidectomy surgery.
How Do I Get Rid of Surgical Scars?
Laser therapy is effective at diminishing the appearance of surgical scars. During the treatment, a specialized laser device emits targeted light energy onto the scar tissue. This stimulates collagen production, which leads to the remodeling of the scar and a smoother texture. Multiple laser therapy sessions, typically spaced several weeks apart, are most effective. While laser therapy significantly improves the appearance of surgical scars, individual results can vary.
Benefits of Laser Therapy for Surgical Scars
- Scar Reduction: Laser therapy reduces the visibility of surgical scars by promoting collagen remodeling and improving the overall texture and appearance of the scarred area. It helps to break down scar tissue, smoothens the skin surface, and fades discoloration associated with the scar.
- Non-Invasive: Laser therapy is a non-invasive approach to scar reduction, meaning it does not require surgical incisions or sutures. This makes it a safer and less invasive option compared to surgical scar revision procedures.
- Customized Treatment: Laser therapy is tailored to suit the specific characteristics of each surgical scar, including scar type, size, color, and texture. The laser parameters are adjusted to target the depth and severity of the scar, providing personalized treatment for optimal results.
- Minimal Downtime: Laser therapy involves minimal downtime compared to surgical procedures. After each session, there may be some temporary redness or swelling, but it generally resolves within a few days. Most individuals resume their normal activities shortly after treatment.
- Versatility: Laser therapy is used to address various types of surgical scars, including linear scars, keloids, hypertrophic scars, and raised or depressed scars. It can be applied to scars on different parts of the body, including the face, abdomen, limbs, and more.
- Improvement in Skin Quality: In addition to scar reduction, laser therapy improves overall skin quality. The treatment stimulates collagen production, which leads to smoother, more youthful-looking skin and improved skin tone and texture beyond just scar reduction.
What Should I Expect from Laser Surgical Scar Treatment?
Consult a qualified medical professional such as Dr. Steffes of DCP to assess your scars, discuss your goals, and determine the most appropriate laser treatment plan for your specific needs. Laser scar treatment may require multiple sessions, spaced several weeks apart. Each session lasts for a short duration, during which the laser is applied to the scarred area. You may experience a mild sensation of warmth or tingling during the procedure.
Laser treatments for surgical scars are generally well-tolerated. Some individuals experience slight discomfort or a sensation similar to a rubber band snapping against the skin, but the procedure is typically not painful. Over time, as scar tissue remodels and collagen production increases, expect to see gradual improvements in the appearance of your surgical scars. The extent of the improvement varies depending on individual factors and the characteristics of the scars.
Am I A Good Candidate for Laser Surgical Scar Treatment?
A good candidate for laser surgical scar treatments includes individuals who have fully healed surgical scars or stable scars. A great candidate discusses their goals and is committed to the treatment process.
Why Choose Dermatology & Cosmetic Physicians for Surgical Scar Removal?
With expertise in laser scar removal treatments, Dr. Steffes has a wealth of experience addressing surgical scars. He has successfully treated a diverse range of surgical scars. Dr. Steffes accurately assesses scars and determines the most suitable laser therapy approach. He also understands the emotional and physical impact surgical scars have on many individuals and strives to create a supportive and empathetic environment for every patient. When you choose DCP, you’re choosing a state-of-the-art facility equipped with advanced laser technology and a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Dr. Steffes provides surgical scar removal treatments for clients out of West Bend, Fond Du Lac, Waukesha, Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Chicago, and beyond.
Surgical Scar Removal FAQs
The appearance of surgical scars can be significantly improved through various laser treatments and interventions.
Laser scar treatments are effective at treating surgical scars due to their ability to target the scar tissue with controlled laser energy. The laser energy stimulates collagen production, which helps remodel scar tissue and improve its texture and appearance.
Laser therapy is used to treat various types of surgical scars, including linear scars, hypertrophic scars, keloid scars, and certain types of raised or depressed scars.